Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Merry Christmas from the Yanceys

Greetings Family and Friends,

Another catastrophe in my mother’s perpetual struggle to counter the natural effects of aging has resulted in her incapacitation. As Jefanie and Cymphanie refused this noble task, the responsibility of representing the ebbs and flows of the Yancey family adventures in the annual Christmas letter falls to me, the young man of the clan. I only hope that my contribution to the recorded history of the Yancey saga will be somewhat worthy of the tale to be told.

My father’s annual change in vocation recently uprooted our family from a humble space to an ostentatious houseboat on the Great Salt Lake. Apparently, his former altruistic passion connected him with a subculture that involves numerous forms of human organ trafficking. Mormon theology characterizes the value of a soul as “great.” It appears that for my father, “great” can be delivered in a metal briefcase every three weeks.

As previously mentioned, mother’s sense of social inadequacy only intensified during our short-lived poverty. After awakening one morning to the realization that what appeared to be an entire murder of crows had imprinted themselves near her eyes she turned to the Internet in desperation. It seems obvious that a home remedy of botulinum toxin is not to be injected into one’s face, but my mother often shows signs of irrationality. Her head remains sufficiently swollen that it hinders her ability to communicate, but it has reduced to the point that the seagulls no longer fear her. Although none of us can confirm this, but we suspect the high pitched mumbling sound is to beckon the birds, the low pitched sound is to summon one of us to get her smoothie straw.

I feel like I should pause at this moment to reflect upon the recent change in our household dynamics. With my mother’s complete reliance upon others she has uncharacteristically submitted herself to a deferent role in the household. Finally, my father has taken upon himself as the traditional dominant male role so endemic within our culture. It is clear that neither is comfortable with this arrangement. My father says that it is ironic we live on a boat as it feels as if Gilligan and the Skipper have switched jobs. I am too young to understand that reference, but seeing my father at the helm of our family ship keeps me wearing a life jacket on both literal and metaphorical levels.

As for my siblings. Jefanie and Dallin split up two weeks prior to their wedding. I may be just a kid, but it was clear that our mother’s involvement in the planning process was a factor in the growing chasm between the two lovebirds. When she booked exactly the same itinerary as Jefanie and Dallin’s honeymoon the situation exploded. Dallin must have called in some favors with a certain General Authority uncle as he was called back on his mission for two more years.  The lack of precedent suggests either revelation or evasion was the motive.

Jefanie’s reaction was quite surprising as she ceased her excessive activities to focus full attention on decorating the house for Christmas. Of course, this was back in our Midvale house and in April. The strangest layer to all of this was how Cymphanie rallied to her side.  As the spring transitioned into summer, the two became inseparable. Bonded in a common goal, the two pooled their limited resources and hand crafted beautiful decorations and ornaments for the house and tree. The connection between the two healed each of them as they aligned themselves in true sisterly love. They laughed together. They cried together.  They supported each other. They lifted each other. They became true sisters in every sense of the word.

Then our mother sent Cymphanie off to boarding school. The argument (which was more mumbling due to the swelling) was that the houseboat only had four cabins and she needed one for her office. We haven’t heard much from Cymphanie since her departure, just the occasional postcard with hand written couplets from Dante’s Inferno. Jefanie has continued to decorate the houseboat, but oddly fits in as Christmas lights light many houseboats.

As for me, life continues in its mundanity. In all likelihood, mother has bored you with the details of my life in previous letters so I will not expound on my daily experience. Suffice it to say that as I emerge from childhood to adolescence, I face the challenge of navigating my own time at sea. As a shaky captain and unstable crew mentor me, I anticipate the fast coming day when I take the helm myself. I see in this an opportunity to outshine my roots. Until then, do not pity me.

May all of your holiday wishes come true.

Love,


Jeff, Stephanie, Jefanie, Cymphanie and me.

No comments: